Re: multiple squids

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:26:10 +0200

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Here's the cute bit - either (a) we can have a socket redirector process
> sitting at the front of the X squids, or (b) we can modify the ipf/ipfw/
> ipchains/whatever code to do load-balancing redirection.

I think simply doing it in the process suffices, but yes to some extents
iptables (the Linux-2.4 ipfw/ipchains) can do it for you by round-robin
port redirection.

> Depends how it is implemented. See, if we use aio, we can schedule reads
> of the file from multiple processes and have the reads block whilst the
> object is being written. Squid can't do that now due to how the storage
> manager is written but I don't imagine it'd be that hard.

The first problem is that you must know that the object is being
written. Once you know this the rest is quite trivial. An I imagine that
it is quite trivial to know that the object is currently being open for
writing...

/Henrik