Re: mempools conversions, more ..

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 05:29:07 +0200

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> I dare say that the real mempool implementation should really use
> mmap() or sbrk() and become a memory allocator in itself. However,
> that is probably something for 2.5 unless someone is very very
> resourceful and does the work now. :-P

I'd say the benefits is very small compared to the development efforts
required, and the portability effects outweights all of it by far.

It is more important to get clustering of small allocations to cut down
on the memory overhead for large pools and further reduce fragmentation.
The actual resource overhead (both CPU and memory) of using malloc() to
allocate the memory areas is minimal, and malloc is portable to all
platforms which are candidates for Squid.

/Henrik