Re: MemPools rewrite

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 10:36:43 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Andres Kroonmaa wrote:

> you mean put a pointer to next free object in place of first few bytes
> of free object? Thats nice trick I think.

Just keep in mind that pointers/counters may need to be aligned on some
platforms. For example, a "struct { char buf[9] }" in an array may not
be aligned, and using its first bytes for a pointer or offset counter is
dangerous.

Thus, if you use first bytes of a free object, you probably want to copy
the pointer into a local variable before de-referencing it. Not a big
deal, of course.

Alex.