maximum_object_size

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:57:49 -0600

I would like to propose the elimination of maximum_object_size, in
squid.conf. What does it do, you ask? Well, it sets a maximum
object size that can be stored on disk. This seems like
completely redundant functionality given the existence of the four
[request|reply]_[header|body]_max_size variables.

Worse, bringing in a file that exceeds the size of this variable
does not result in an error page or log entry. The only thing that
happens is that a variable is a silently incremented, making
it a very difficult problem to debug. I found out about this
variable it by gdb, which seems wrong.

I propose removing it either as part of the pushcache changes
or through whatever other set of changes I may next create a new
tree for.

Thoughts?

--
Jon Kay        pushcache.com                      jkay@pushcache.com