Re: Ordering IP addresses [Non trivial]

From: Rafael Martinez Torres <rafael.martinez@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 15:20:43 +0200 (CEST)

> - I can redefine the address ordering to byte-to-byte comparing (memcmp)
> on the two memory areas &A &B , but on IPv4 and i386 boxes§ they would
> invert the actual order, since network order inverts the bytes on host order (ntohl) , so...

OK. As I see, the only purpose of previous function was to provide a
function to short the nodes of balanced tree Splay<V> ...

No other semantics beyond that is intended...

typedef Splay<acl_ip_data *> IPsplay ;

> - The rest of calling software will not be ready to support this new
> ordering (-1,0,1) --> (1,0,-1) Would be very difficult to change it into
> this new order ?

Changed the order relationship, the logics for the abstract balanced tree
is
kept...
So, it is not dangerous to redefine the relation in terms of memcmp(...)

Cleaner, even.

> - If not answer available in a short time, given the close date to
> benchmarking IPv6, were can I order Squid to bypass all the ACLIP
> constraints
> on squid.conf ?

Brrr....

It's my second obsessed mistake in terms of IPv6'fied 128 bits numbers...

ASN has to do just rigth with BGP4+ , and "aclIPAddrNetworkCompare" is
just a order relationship for the nodes of an abstract balanced tree...

Things are easier than thought... I should interpret the "meaning" of
variables, not just is type....