proposal: make config parsing non-blocking.

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:54:07 +1000

This is just a long term thought: should we make config parsing non
blocking.

This would allow reconfiguration to on a running system with less
disruption than it has now, but...

would require that all the configuration data be much more dynamic than
it is now - for instance the closure of listening ports, conversion of a
port that is currently listening as http to listen as https etc.

The nice thing about this is that we could configure up a new
configuration that is not 'active', make sure its all koscher and so
forth, then let it slide into place by a pivot-like process - change the
callbacks for all the listening ports, and update any other global
variables - but not removing the prior config - and then let the old
config free as references to it die.

This isn't very tied into async/sync behaviour, but making it explicitly
async would allow for parsing very big configs, or geting configuration
data from over the network etc.

Rob