Re: WCCP2

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:28:07 +0100

fre 2007-01-19 klockan 07:01 -0800 skrev Govind Kannan:

> 3. Does the router get to load balance the cluster depending on the
> "Assignment weights", parameter that is supposed to be specified
> in the
> Here_I_am?

No, thats just a hint to the primary web cache which may use that to
balance the load.

> 4. Does the router get to assign buckets in the same way lead cache
> has indicated in the Redirect_Assign packet?

Yes. It's the primary web cache which decides on how traffic should be
distributed.

> assignment; For example, in a cache cluster with two caches only, when
> the lead cache assigns buckets 1-128 to itself and 129-256 to the
> other, router assigns buckets 1-128 to the other cache and 129-256 to
> lead cache. This makes me to think that the wccp2 draft is implying
> the bucket index order from the last bucket (bucket 255) to the first
> bucket (bucket 0) in the Assignment Info component rather than what is
> shown. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Not entirely sure.

I'd recommend you to look into how Squid-2.6 behaves. It's WCCP2
implementation is far more complete than any patch seen for 2.5.

Regards
Henrik