efficient acl filtering

From: Gustaf Bjorksten <gustaf@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 07:33:17 +1000

G'Day fellow invertibrates,

We have a proxy server (squid 1.1.16) that we use to filter URLs. The
acl list has approx. 5000 acls in it.

The machine is an intel P100 with 128mb RAM and 5gb of disk space and
although it is dedicated to the filtering task it seems to run very
slowly.

We have tried recompiling squid with the b-tree option but this seems to
make little difference.

Does anybody out there have experience with running squid efficiently
with a large list of acls? Is there a better way for us to do this
(perhaps using an external redirector or recompiling with other
options?)?

Thank you,

Gus