Re: NetCache FAQ (NOTE: NetCache give away ends September 30)

From: Donald Neal <d.neal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 10:46:10 -1100

At 03:20 PM 23/09/97 +0100, James R Grinter wrote:
[...]
>>Whilst the features of the software look -really- good, I'm not going
>>to buy a $40,000 machine to replace my intel-powered $8,000 machine just
>>so I can have persistant connections and a fast rebuild. (Not that I
>
>As I think I've said before, buying commercial products isn't for
>everyone. But some people find that it's more important to offer a
>good solid service than spending a lot of time and effort doing it
>themselves.

  And even if we are willing to put in the time, speed equals money in
bandwidth provision.
  If you really want to run NetCache on an Intel-based box, you can run it
under NT. (No, I haven't done that, and yes, I would prefer Linux.)
  The cost of a fully-configured Digital PW 433au running Digital UNIX, by
the way, would be under US$20 000 including NetCache.

- Donald Neal