Re: 0 size requests buggle

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:55:50 +0200

Jordan Mendelson wrote:

> For some reason squid 1.2b22 stopped spitting out that error for 0
> sized answers and started sending back to the client 0 sized answers.

RFC 2068 (HTTP 1.1) section "14.14 Content-Length"
   Any Content-Length greater than or equal to zero is a valid value.

> This happens all the time on http://slashdot.org for one reason or
> another... but until I upgraded to 1.2b22 has the browser ever shown
> the error instead of the standard squid error.

Showing an error on a valid reply is a bug.

Try to capture what the server returns (using client). If the
object-headers are returned and there is a Content-Length: 0 then it is
a valid reply, and hence Squid should not translate it into an error.

It can be argued wether a zero bytes reply without Content-Length is
valid or not. I could not find anything in RFC2068 on stating that it
isn't (only the contraty, that a object may be zero bytes), but most
times this is seen is on a malperforming cgi-bin program. On the other
hand Squid is only a relay agent and as such it should not transform
correct replies into errors.

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker