Re: sporadic hanging with v1.1.21 on Unixware

From: ChengHan Junee Yu <june@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 15:04:28 +0800

>From: "Fredrik Lindgren" <fli@unix.edu.sollentuna.se>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm running v1.1.21 of Squid on a UnixWare 2.1.3 host and I'm
>>experiencing occasional "hangs" that I can't track down.
>>
>>The proxy continues to accept requests from clients but never fulfills
>>them, ie they user is left indefinitely with a "host foo.com contacted,
>>waiting for reply" message.
>>
>>On inspection (ps -ef |grep squid), the squid processes are still running
>>but not responding. I have to kill the RunCache and squid processes and
>>re-run RunCache to get it working again.

><snip>

>I'm seeing the same problem, first with 1.1.17 and now 1.2.23, both
>on Linux 2.0.33 on a PII 266 with 256Mb RAM. I've been theorizing
>that it might have something to do with lack of file descriptors?

>When this happens I can still see ICP queries coming in, but no TCP
>activity. I'm goiong to try the pathes to increase the number of
>filedescriptors per process and see if it helps.

>Regards,
> Fredrik Lindgren
> Sonera ISC

  I aslo experienced this kind situation on UnixWare 2.0.3, 2.1.2 using
squid 1.NOVM.22 and 1.NOVM.21. But they are worser than 2.1.3 because
they are "hang" and can't keyin any word from keyboard, but can change
virtual console. The only way is power off and power on.

  After uprade to UW 2.1.3, I got the above situation. When "hang", it
can recover in some time (5 to 20 mins, or long). I can see a lot of

xxxx| comm_accept: FD 24: accept failure: (71) Protocol error
xxxx| asciiHandleConn: FD 24: accept failure: (71) Protocol error

in cache.log file. I can't make sure it is the only phenomenon.

  From cachemgr.cgi, I see the amount of file descr before it hang, and
it can comsume thouand file descr. in short time. So I don't believe it
is short of file descr. This is only my guess. Hope Fredrik can tell us
the result.

--
------ June ChengHan (JiunYih) Yu   ---  :-p ---  :-) -------
   jyyu@ms5.hinet.net