Re: 197 FD active and WARNINGS.

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 10:49:33 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Benarson Behajaina wrote:

> 2 months ago, when I run Squid 1.1.20, I had no problem
> with file descriptors. (Linux 2.0.34, Filedescriptors: 256)
> When I run Squid 2.0 RELEASE, I've got WARNINGS (from cache.log):
> IMO, it must use at least 256 FD before send WARNINGS.

Those will be not WARNINGs but FAILUREs then :)

A warning means that cache is working OK, but is close to the limit. If all
FDs are used up your users will start getting errors from the cache (at
best)...

As far as I can see, FD warnings are printed when you have less than
RESERVED_FD left. RESERVED_FD is initially set to "MIN(100, Squid_MaxFD /
4)", and could be automatically adjusted run-time. Cache manager will show
you the current value on the "general info" page.

Alex.