Can't ping when squid is killed

From: Nicole <nicole@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:30:06 -0800

 Hi All
 I have an unusual problem. I am running squid Version 2.1PATHCH2 on FreeBSD 3.0. (also lower revs as
well)
 There are times when I want to kill squid to restart it. I will then do a ps -auxw | grep squid and kill
-9 both squid -sY processes, and the RunCache Process. At times however, when I do this the unit becomes
unpingable for approximately 1 minute. Then it will be reachable again and the processes will have
respawned themelves. Then I can kill -9 them again and then they wil die.

 Has anyone seen anything like this? Why would killing the squid processes make the box unreachable?

  Thanks

   Nicole

 nicole@webweaver.net |\ __ /| (`\ http://www.webweaver.net/
 webmistress@dangermouse.org | o_o |__ ) ) http://www.dangermouse.org/