Re: source_ping

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:01:32 +0100

Ettore De Simone wrote:

> Well, my problem is: I have to go through a main parent which is, well,
> somewhat unreliable. I used source_ping to tell squid to go directly to the
> origin servers when the parent gets clogged up and become too slow to respond in
> reasonable time - which happens almost regularly in night hours.

You could set icp_query_timeout to a fixed value instead. It will stop
Squid from recalculating the ICP timeout when the parent gets slower and
instead consider it dead.

> Now, does icmp allow me doing that ? What strategy does squid use
> to determine access routes ?

--enable-icmp collects round-trip times to origin servers using cached
ICMP ECHO queries. This is used to go direct when you are closer to the
origin site than your parents. I am not 100% sure how this really works
so I can't really say how it performs (I have never used it, nor studied
it in detail).

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker