Re: ethics of listing proxy service

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 19:11:55 +0100

Duane Wessels wrote:

> >What do people think of the ethics of publishing apparantly public
> >services on well-known ports? I thought it might be compared to
> >a search engine testing port 80, but my correspondant thinks it's more
> >like testing port 25 for mail relay. I think it's rude; he thinks it's
> >abuse.
>
> I think its fine if you list it initially, but if they ask to be
> taken off the list, then it should be taken off.

I think the site maintainers should first be asked if this is
intentional. Many times this is an unintentional security flaw in their
setups. It is sort of like publishing a list of people known to leave
their car unlocked, inviting people to "borrow" those cars.

I also think that very few wants unknown/unrelated people to use their
proxy servers. It makes no economic sense what so ever (except if you
are promoting the software used).

---
Henrik Nordstrom