RE: Small question about the caching of password protected pages

From: Nottingham, Mark (Australia) <mark_nottingham@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:49:38 -0500

Squid does not cache pages that are HTTP authenticated, unless a
Cache-Control: public header is returned with the response (the web site
would have to do this specifically). If they're using another authentication
mechanism, it's perfectly possible the pages are being cached, albiet
unlikely (they'd have to generate validators, Expires times or similar for
the objects as they're served).

This assumes Squid 2.x; Squid 1.x behaves in a similar manner, AFAIK, except
I don't know offhand whether it will honor a Cache-Control: public
directive.

A much more likely explanation is that someone had used the browser to
access the site in the same session.

Regards,