Re: ftpget and Squid 2.x

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 12:26:02 +0200

Gerd.Bitzer@tesion.de wrote:

> 1999/08/13 02:30:07| Took 3 seconds (22439.3 lines/sec).
> FATAL: Failed to fork() for ftpget.
> Squid Cache (Version 1.1.20): Terminated abnormally.

If this is on logrotate or reconfigure then your machine may simply be
temporarily running out of swap space. Due to how the way Unix works
when starting new processes the swap demand (but not usage) will
temporarily triple during a logrotate/reconfigure of Squid. Three
possible "fixes" exists:

a) Don't do that. Have Squid do a full restart.
b) Tune the system to have on-demand swap allocation (also called
over-commit on some systems). to have it allocate swap when it actually
needs to swap out pages instead of reserving swap space for all
processes.
c) Add a huge chunk of swap space.

> Another question is, when I want to update the parent to Squid 2.2 stable4,
> what should I do with the ftpget of squids 1.1.20 conf File. I think I would
> migrate the conf file from 1.1.20 to 2.2, but I have read that in squid 2.x
> ftpget no longer exists. What should I do with the statement in the conf
> file, can I simply delete it, and ftp still is full functional ?

The best approach is to start from scratch. Quite many of the
configuration directives have changed. Some is replaced entirely by new
directives, some is removed, some has different syntax.

1. Make a copy of your 1.X configuration and clean it from all syntax
comments to get a better view of what it actually contains. (cat
squid.conf | grep "^[a-z]" >squid.conf.cleaned")

2. Go thru old settings and merge them into a Squid-2.2 configuration
using the new syntax.

3. Clean the resulting 2.2 configuarion from all syntax comments. When
you have a working configuration you should always refer to
squid.conf.default for documentation, or you may get very confused on
upgrades. It also gives you a much better overview of your
configuration.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker