Re: [squid-users] Squid core

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 23:49:52 +0200

wojtek@3miasto.net wrote:

> > if yes must I put -g when compiling or do I have to put another debug level
> > in squid.conf file to have more explanation about this core
>
> it's probably AIX specific. whatever i could say about squid i have NEVER
> core dump

I do quite often while experimenting. Most often due to bugs I
introduce, but sometimes due to old bug being triggered by the changes I
make.. and I do expect Squid-2.5 to coredump a lot for me the first
monts we put it in production. It took about 4 monts to find most of the
critical bugs in Squid-2.2 when I put that release in production, but
some bugs I know was never found because they happened too rarely. These
bugfixes to 2.2 was the cause to the now defunct Squid-2.2-hno releases.
All of them have been merged into Squid-2.4, very few into Squid-2.3.
(note: I have skipped Squid-2.3 and Squid-2.4 due to various reasons..
2.3 mainly due to quality of the release, 2.4 due to timing)

Squid defenitely is not fully bug free, but compared to many other
things I'd say it does quite well. But then I am perhaps somewhat biased
even if it does not look that way above.. During the last year or two a
lot have changed in the code design to lessen the risk for bugs, and
this work will continue in parallell to all the other improvements being
made.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker