Re: [squid-users] Proxy Passwords

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:27:29 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

I am assuming you are doing proxy authentication. If so, here's how it
works:

Proxy authentication is implemented by the browser sending a username and
"encrypted" password in the HTTP header of a request it makes of the
proxy.

If proxy authentication is required and the HTTP header does not contain
the required information, the proxy sends back a "407 proxy Authentication
Required". The browser reacts to this by displaying the little
username/password window. It collects the info you typed in and re-sends
the original request with a Proxy-auth field in the HTTP header. The proxy
is now satisfied (assuming username and passwrod are correct :-) and
processes the request.

So, that tells you there is pretty much nothing that can be done. If you
close down your browser you lose the username/password for the proxy.

 On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Peter Erickson wrote:

> I am not sure wether this is a problem with squid or my browser (ie or
> netscape), but every time that I close my browser and re-open it again, I
> get the username and password prompt. Is there a way to cache this info on
> the squid server for a specified time before asking for it again. This
> tends to be very annoying for my users which don't move around often. Is
> squid in not the problem, anyone know of a way to get this to stop??

> Peter Erickson
> Platinum Management Services Group, Inc.
> perickson@platinumpersonals.com

Colin

--
Colin Campbell