RE: [squid-users] Load Balance

From: BAARDA, Don <don.baarda@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:31:40 +0930

G'day,

This is not the best way to load-balance 2 links. The best way is to use ICP
to different parents on the other end of your two links. I'm not sure if you
used squid2/squid3 just to split the traffic, or because you needed 3
proxies to handle the load. In any case, what you have proposed doesn't give
you much redundancy.

A better way is;

      |-Squid1----|
      |-Squid2----|
      |-Squid3----|

      | - 100Mbit - full switched

    Client

You configure Squid1->Squid3 all basically the same, with each other as
then use any of your squids. You can use some sort of round-robining proxy
front end, or run a fail-over switching thingy that points the clients to
whichever squid is up and running. If you don't really need 3 Squids for the
load and/or redundancy, you can just use one.

The beauty of using ICP to both upstream parents is it automatically
load-balances the two links, and gracefully handles when either link goes
down. The price you pay is a tiny bit of extra ICP traffic, and a bit of
extra ICP latency. For this to work you require (different) ICP capable
proxies at the end of each link.

ABO