Re: [squid-users] ACL issues

From: Simon White <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 18:25:59 +0000

03-Apr-02 at 13:14, Michael R. Wayne (wayne@staff.msen.com) wrote :

> Squid Cache: Version 2.3.STABLE4
>
> I am trying VERY hard to force requests to fdl.msn.com to go direct
> but squid is not cooperating. In squid.conf, I have
>
> acl ZONE_1 url_regex fdl.msn.com
> no_cache deny ZONE_1
> #### fdl.msn.com has address 207.46.177.148
> acl ZONE_2 dst 207.46.177.148
> no_cache deny ZONE_2
> acl acl_zone dst fdl.msn.com
> always_direct allow acl_zone

Have you a corresponding

never_direct deny acl_zone

I never quite understood why there are both these declarations, but maybe
it's this:

always_direct is parsed, and then specific exceptions /could/ be handled by
never_direct

And, if never_direct is evaluated last, then it may cancel out the
always_direct... especially if you have never_direct allow all or
something like that.

That said, the example from squid.conf goes thus:
# acl local-intranet dstdomain foo.net
# acl local-external dstdomain external.foo.net
# always_direct deny local-external
# always_direct allow local-intranet
# never_direct allow all

Someone with a better knowledge of squid logical evaluation might be able
to answer better on this, but it couldn't hurt to try to put in a
never_direct as I suggested above.

STABLE6 is out, by the way.

Simon.

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:61.27% see www.mersenne.org]
Hofstadter's Law states that projects take longer than expected, even when