Re: [squid-users] ftp thru squid - more following quests

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 19:29:12 +0200

Aman Raheja wrote:

> Thank you so much gentlemen
> Though I feel dumb after having read the responses as the squid
> documentation starts off saying that it is a HTTP cache proxy server.
> Though I am a novice - it's not a good excuse !!! :)
>
> 1> Anyhow, I want to ask that if I don't really need a cache server would IP
> masquerading be efficient enough to take over the proxy job of squid.
>
> 2> Also let me know what is the use of acls menntioning safe ports in the
> squid.conf ?

 The safe ports acl is a mechanism that SQUID needs, to avoid becoming
 a 'bad program' on the Internet.
 It is assumed that normal http is directed for nodes on port 80.

 Squid takes that into account, and is preventing intranet users
 working with squid to attack internet nodes other ports.

 Sometimes squid managers may need to add ports to the safe port list
 if websites are using none standard ports, and or for SSL connections.

 M.

> Thanks a ton
> Aman

 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM
 (M.E. Mar 2002)