Re: [squid-users] (Maybe) Bugreport: Ext3-fs error with squid 2.4stable6

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:56:19 +0200

Simon White wrote:

> 11-Apr-02 at 13:42, Henrik Nordstrom (hno@marasystems.com) wrote :
> > Any errors reported by the filesystem in your syslog/messages is by
> > definition kernel or hardware problems.
> >
> > The fact that you don't receive these using 2.4.STABLE4 is purely
> > coincidental.
>
> Not so much coincidence, as that /perhaps/ there is code in STABLE6 which
> causes code within the kernel disk I/O routines to screw up. However it is
> clear that Squid will just make read/write demands to the hardware, and it
> is the kernel's job to do this in conjunction with filesystem drivers.
>
> ext3fs is still reasonably new and was marked as EXPERIMENTAL on my last
> kernel compile some weeks ago.
>
> I think using another filesystem with Squid STABLE6 would prove this one
> anyway. I would suspect kernel code / SCSI driver / combinations of
> these...

 Hmm, I believe that the original poster's problem
 should >at least< be verified on another system with EXT3
 before SQUID is blamed.
 I mean more exactly : before it can be claimed that SQUID
 would have tricked a bug in EXT3; which has an app. can never
 be excluded, that is true.
 Programs have been know to crash os-es too...

 M.