Re: [squid-users] FTP firewall

From: Juri Haberland <list-squid.users@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:53:10 +0000 (UTC)

"Hameed" <hameed@pilot.com.hk> wrote:

> We have bought a plugin for our system which is called FTPit. It is
> used to transfer files from the computer where the Filemaker Pro system is
> running, to a remote ftp server.
>
> The solution works perfectly for computers connected to the internet
> directly. Recently we got a new client who has got an array of computers
> which connects to the internet through the server where the Squid firewall
> is running.

Squid is not a firewall nor a FTP proxy. It is 'just' a HTTP proxy. Your
customer needs either a real FTP proxy (e.g.
http://www.suse.de/en/whitepapers/proxy_suite/) or they must open up
their firewall to let internal clients go out directly for FTP traffic.

> We have a Windows 2000 server OS running on our server computer.
> I want to install the Squid in the server here to test my client's scenario
> here.
> I have the following questions to ask:
>
> Is that possible the Squid can run in this windows server?

Yes, but this will buy you nothing - see above.

Cheers,
Juri

--
Juri Haberland  <juri@koschikode.com>