[squid-users] Help with squid to work with another http proxy

From: Kenneth Oncinian <koncinian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:34:56 +0800

Hi,

Im new to squid and I'm confused about our network setup and how to
implement squid with it.
Our network Internet access is based on http proxy only, the proxy
server's ip address is external which is accessible to all LAN address,
same as DNS server. So basically, we cant ping any external address, for
example, ping yahoo.com will error out because basically we dont have
access to outside world, only through http proxy.

I need to have an http proxy within our network so that we can have
control over them, like who can access the internet, time of day
Internet is available and content filtering as well. This is where the
confusion begins, can I have a proxy server if my connection is only tru
a proxy server?

I have initially set my squid.conf like this:

cache_peer <external_proxy_address> parent 8080 0 proxy-only
acl my_network src 192.168.1.0/24
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0
acl manager protocol cache_object
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/32
http_access allow manager localhost
http_access allow my_network
http_access deny all

Basically, this works but cannot retrieve *some websites because of
"dnsserver returned NO DNS records" error. Some site works, some doesnt.

When I start squid with squid -d1NC -D, I can see that it uses the DNS
server given in my /etc/resolve.conf. Starting squid without -D fails
due to DNS test.

But if I will use my external proxy server's address to browse the
Internet, all websites can be accessed, even IRC channels.

How can I configure my squid.conf to match exactly the behaviour of our
external proxy server? Is this
possible?

Thanks and best regards,
Kenneth Oncinian