Re: [squid-users] squid.pid (squid-2.5.STABLE4)

From: Oliver Zimmermann <oz@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 16:50:35 +0100

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>>With a softlink I could solve the problem:
>>ln -s /var/run/squid.pid /usr/local/squid/var/logs/squid.pid
>

> There is one important clue above. When you start Squid you specified that
> /etc/squid.conf should be used as configuration file, but the "squid -k
> rotate" did not specify which configuration file to use and will thus use
> the default configuration file location for that Squid binary. This
> configuration file most likely does not specify the same pid_filename.
>
> Regards
> Henrik

You've got it! Thanks very much!

I had "/usr/local/squid/sbin/squid -k rotate" in my crontab, so squid
falls back to the default location /usr/local/squid/etc/squid.conf. This
squid.conf uses the default /usr/local/squid/var/logs/ for the
squid.pid-file, and not the one I defined in /etc/squid.conf.

I checked this with "/usr/local/squid/sbin/squid -f /etc/squid.conf -k
check", which is without error now.

Thanks for your solution,
Oliver