Re: [squid-users] High CPU

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 16:36:30 +0200

On 22.07 07:57, Scott Phalen wrote:
> I have searched the archives and can't seem to find a solution to my issue.
> My server sits at 92% or higher for CPU utilization 24 hours a day. During
> my peek hours it is at 99% with a load of about 35 requests per second. My
> plan is to convert this to reiserfs in the next month and spread the cache
> over both disks instead of using RAID0.

good idea and should help much. However, if it is squid who eats 99% of
CPU, it is probably due to slow machine (...) or badly configured squid...

> I am using a Dell PowerEdge 650 P4 3.0Ghz processor
> 2 - 145Gig 15K RPM hard disks - striped
> 2 Gig RAM
> Linux 2.1AS
> Squid-2.5STABLE6

> Below is my squid.conf minus the ACLs and cachemgr info:

> cache_mem 128 MB

I'd increase this probably to 1GB...

> maximum_object_size 128 MB

this is imho too much for 13GB storage...
it would probably be OK with heap replacement policies like LFUDA
(i'd use that one)

> ipcache_size 0
> fqdncache_size 0

I am not sure if 0 in these cases means unlimited - check it...