[squid-users] Squid and zlib

From: Bill Larson <wllarso@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 12:36:47 -0700

I'm curious about the zlib library that Squid uses.

On the zlib web site, the current version of zlib is 1.2.2. There is a
note that zlib 1.2.x is faster than (I'm assuming) version 1.1.x.

Has anyone noticed any increased speed with Squid using zlib 1.2 as
compared to 1.1? Squid compiles fine with either version. I'm just
wondering if this change makes a worthwhile difference in the operation
of Squid.

My reason for asking is that I'm using MacOS X, which ships from Apple
with zlib 1.1.3. Building version 1.2.2 is trivial, but is it worth
it?

Bill Larson