Re: [squid-users] SquidNT: How to run cachemgr.cgi on IIS6 (2003 server)

From: Serassio Guido <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 09:42:37 +0100

Hi,

At 23.30 06/11/2004, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Kim C wrote:
>
>>I am running SquidNT on 2003 server. It performs well, and the only problem
>>is cachemgr.cgi. It runs normally with SquidClient, but with IIS6 I just get
>>a message saying that cachemgr.cgi didn't produce any output. This happens
>>both from localhost and from a remote location.
>
>It should work fine..
>
>Is there any additional information in the IIS error logs?
>
>>Are there any special configurations on IIS6 I should know about ?
>
>The cachemgr.cgi needs to be in a CGI directory, and the IIS needs to know
>to execute .cgi files. You can also try renamig it to cachemgr.exe

The problem is different:

On IIS 6.0 all CGI extensions are denied by default for security reason.

You should do the following steps:

- Define the cgi-bin IIS Virtual Directory with read and CGI execute IIS
permissions, ASP scripts are not needed, this automatically defines a
cgi-bin IIS web application
- Copy cachemgr.cgi into cgi-bin directory and look to file permissions:
the IIS system account and SYSTEM must be able to read and execute the file
- In IIS manager go to Web Service extensions and add a new Web Service
Extension called Squid Cachemgr, add the cachemgr.cgi file and set the
extension status to Allowed.

Now it should work.

Please note that IIS can execute CGI script with any file extension, so
there is no need to rename a .cgi executable to .exe.

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Gorizia, 69 10136 - Torino - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.3249426 Fax. : +39.011.3293665
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/