Re: [squid-users] Questions about Squid 2.5.STABLE7 performance and cachemgr

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:56:07 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com wrote:

> Squid issue). Sometimes I'm NOT able to access the cachemgr and my browser
> will "spin" for a minute or two and then things will load really quickly.
> When things are operating normally, Squid performance screams. :)
>
> Any ideas as to the cause of these delays?

Check your cabling, network interface statistics, and that the server and
the switch agrees on the type of network.

The symptoms you describe is very common for network errors such as bad
cables, server and switch disagreeing on the network type (i.e. one
100Mbps full duplex, the other half duplex) and similar errors causing
significant packet loss.

> With regard to the cachemgr, in the DISKD section does the "unlink" count
> reflect the number of cache objects that have been purged from the cache?

It's a good estimate (might be one or two off for other files, plus it
also includes some objects discarded before completely cached due to
aborts etc..).

Regards
Henrik