Re: [squid-users] Slow Squid

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:57:34 +0100

On 16.11 12:32, Sturgis, Grant wrote:
> Another shot from today:
>
> [root@proxy01bldr root]# free -m
> total used free shared buffers
> cached
> Mem: 3778 3758 20 0 497
> 2194
> -/+ buffers/cache: 1065 2713
> Swap: 8997 807 8190
>
> Doesn't this say 807 MB of swap being used? Certainly that cannot be
> good.

No, that only means that 807MB of your virtual memory are (also) stored on
swap partition. This is a way how linux works with swap, and should do any
harm. However, with 4GB of RAM and only ~1GB of it used, you can safely
turn swap off and you won't see this (and I think you won't loose any
noticeable performance)