Re: [squid-users] Server-side no-cache

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 11:33:27 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Matteo Villari wrote:

> Well I'll be more precise : I want to cache
> http://nuovosito.regione.campania.it but their server is set up with Expires
> "Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT" Cache-Control "no-cache" and Pragma
> "no-cache", so my question is: can squid override these server directives to
> make this page cacheable?

Expires you can override, but not the other.

> and, if actuallyit it's not possible, do you think that with a patch it
> would be possible?

Yes, obviously.

You will however be in a quite dark zone wrt RFC compliance etc when doing
this. Better to lobby with the site operator to make them more friendly to
caches. Usually sufficient to send them a copy of "Caching Tutorial for
for Web Authors and Webmasters" which does a good job explaining both why
caching is good for the web author and how to autor content in a way which
is friendly to caches. This document is available via the "Related
Writings" link on the Squid home page.

Regards
Henrik