[squid-users] SquidNT: Strange log entries.

From: Holton, Euan <EHolton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 16:38:58 +0100

Hi fellow Squid users

I've been using Squid NT v2.5 STABLE 7 successfully for some months now,
but I've noticed a few odd entries in cache.log, similar to the
following:

nntlm-atultmh-[a6u8t7h6[]4:6 5s2e]n: dsienngd i'nNgA 'LNoAg oLno gfoani
lfuariel:u ruen:k nuonwknn ouwsne ru snearm en aomre bor baad dp
apsasswsowrodr.d'. 't ot os qsuqiudi

On first look , it appears to be random garbage, but on looking closer
it is apparent that it is two instances of the text "ntlm-auth[6876]:
sending 'NA Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.' to squid"
(with the [####] varying according to which ntlm-auth helper is writing
the log message) intermingled with each other, suggesting to me that two
different helpers are sending the same message to the log file at the
same time (perhaps directly?).

I've not had a chance to upgrade to the latest STABLE version to see if
this behaviour continues there, but in the meantime is there a simple
change I could make to my squid.conf to avoid this problem in future?

Thanks in advance.

Euan Holton
Network Support Technician
Senior Aerospace BWT