Re: [squid-users] Microsoft Updates

From: James Gray <james_gray@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 11:29:56 +1000

On Fri, 27 May 2005 04:38 am, David Curtis wrote:
> We are having problems running windows updates through our squid server.
> If we bypass squid we have not problems. Any idea where the problem
> might be. We are running Squid Cache: Version 2.5.STABLE1 on RH9. I see
> nothing in the access log that might indicate a problem.

Windows Update v5 (WinXP/2003 etc) will choke on authenticated proxies and can
barf on nono-authenticated proxies too.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;896226

In short - route the windows update stuff directly. This is a problem wth
windows, not squid.

There's some info I posted about 6 months ago to this list that may be useful
(ie, it worked for me).

Cheers,

James