Re: [squid-users] Squid-2.6.STABLE2: "Not our vary marker object"

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <m.c.crockett@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 22:08:23 -0700

On 04 Aug 2006, at 10:57 , Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> fre 2006-08-04 klockan 09:02 -0700 skrev m.c.crockett@adelphia.net:
>
>> 2006/08/04 08:09:59| storeLocateVary: Not our vary marker object,
>> 575BCD87CBA91ABA3A8E45C504D1F55B =
>> 'http://stb.msn.com/i/8A/24BC8A51321CAF6CCA6C4DBD4F9.gif',
>> 'accept-encoding'/'-'
>>

>> What is the significance of this message? Does it simply mean that
>> there is another web proxy in the path that didn't preserve the
>> original Vary data?
>
> It says something strange happened with Vary on that object. It's more
> of an internal debug message undicating an unexpected turn of things,
> but harmless otherwise (falls back on cache miss). Should not be seen
> frequently.
>
> If you see the message frequently please file a bug report as it may
> indicate there is still some corner case in the Vary processing.

It appears to be fairly consistent; however, it only occurs with two
MSN.COM sites: The one shown above (STB.MSN.COM) and a second site
HP.MSN.COM.

It occurs on both of my Squid servers. Both were upgraded from
Squid-2.5.STABLE6 to Squid-2.6.STABLE2 yesterday; however, one was
started with a new cache directories while the second was started
with the existing cache directories.

The "Not our vary marker object" log entry occurs more frequently in
the second server. I think this may be more a function of Window's
default enableWebProxyCache setting than an issue with Squid.

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett@adelphia.net