Re: [squid-users] epoll on squid 2.6.STABLE4-20061009 under linux

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:03:19 +0200

tor 2006-10-19 klockan 14:45 +0200 skrev Marco Berizzi:

> Ok, but my linux kernel has been built with epoll support.

Well.. the error message says with no doubt "the running kernel does not
implement the called function".

It could also be your libc lying to you defining the function but always
returning "not implemented" without trying to call the syscall, but I
very much doubt this is the case as glibc versions without epoll support
doesn't even define the function.

An "strace /path/to/sbin/squid -DNYCd1" will tell which is the case if
you are in doubt. If strace sees a epoll syscall with a ENOSYS then libc
implements the function but not the kernel. If you see no epoll syscall
but still Squid complains then your libc is lying about epoll support.

> glibc on slackware 10.1 doesn't support epoll so configure should
> complain. Right?

You won't be able to compile Squid with epoll in such case. Even if
configure didn't complain linking the binary would fail. Linking Squid
with epoll support requires either epoll support in libc or the separate
libepoll library.

Regards
Henrik