Re: [squid-users] SquidNT: Strange Internet explorer authentication popup - I'm forced to recreate user profile

From: Richard Greaney <greaneyr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 08:29:24 +1300

Reale Marco wrote:
> I'm using squid nt 2.6 stable 4 on windows 2003 server from 1 year (in
> active directory environment) with ntlm auth and it works very well
> (stable, fast, and no big problems)
>
> My configuration file is (I report only interesting section):
>
> ---------------Squid config----------------
>
> auth_param ntlm program c:/squid/libexec/mswin_ntlm_auth.exe
>
> external_acl_type NT_global_group %LOGIN
> c:/squid/libexec/mswin_check_lm_group.exe -G -c
>
> acl DomainUsers external NT_global_group "c:/squid/etc/DomainUsers.txt"
> acl Proxy_Messengers_yes external NT_global_group Proxy_Messengers_yes
> acl Proxy_Internet_Ts external NT_global_group Proxy_Internet_Ts
> acl Proxy_All_Open external NT_global_group Proxy_All_Open
> acl Proxy_ftp_porn_block_yes external NT_global_group
> Proxy_ftp_porn_block_yes
>

> acl porn dstdomain "c:/squid/block/pornblock.txt"
> acl ftpblock url_regex -i \.exe$ \.mp3$ \.asx$ \.avi$ \.mpeg$ \.qt$
> \.ram$ \.rm$ \.iso$ \.wav$ \.aif$ .\wma$ .\wmv$
>

> # Only allow cachemgr access from localhost
> http_access allow manager localhost
> http_access deny manager
> # Deny requests to unknown ports
> http_access deny !Safe_ports
> # Deny CONNECT to other than SSL ports
> http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
> #
> # We strongly recommend the following be uncommented to protect innocent
> # web applications running on the proxy server who think the only
> # one who can access services on "localhost" is a local user
> #http_access deny to_localhost
> #
> # INSERT YOUR OWN RULE(S) HERE TO ALLOW ACCESS FROM YOUR CLIENTS
> #
> http_access deny Proxy_Internet_Ts !trustedsites
> http_access allow enabled
> http_access deny porn !Proxy_All_Open
> deny_info ERR_PORN_ACCESS_DENIED porn
> http_access deny bad_word_content_type !Proxy_ftp_porn_block_yes
> !Proxy_All_Open
> deny_info ERR_PORN_ACCESS_DENIED bad_word_content_type
> http_access deny msnmessenger !Proxy_Messengers_yes !Proxy_All_Open
> http_access deny msnweb !Proxy_Messengers_yes !Proxy_All_Open
> http_access deny msnit !Proxy_Messengers_yes !Proxy_All_Open
> http_access deny BadDest !Proxy_Messengers_yes !Proxy_All_Open
> http_access deny rs_deny !rs_allowed
> http_access deny ftpblock !Proxy_ftp_porn_block_yes !Proxy_All_Open
> http_access allow autorizzati DomainUsers
>
> ---------------Squid config end----------------
>

> PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
> As already told squid works well but sometimes (10 pc in last 2 months)
> happens that on a pc internet explorer continuosly require credentials
> (user/password pop-up). If the same user logs on others pc the problem
> isn't present.
> I think should be an internet explorer (or windows bug) that
> unexpectedly stops to work correctly with ntlm authentication and squid.
> IMPORTANT: all users have outlook 2003 and exchange 2003 and it works
> [...]

This sounds undoubtedly like a browser problem rather than a problem
with squid. There's a setting in IE that should fix it though. I'm not
sure of your profile configuration, restriction-wise, but go to Tools ->
Internet Options -> Advanced -> Security -> Enable Integrated Windows
Authentication (requires restart). That should enable ntlm. You might
find it's just been dropped on some problematic profiles.

Hope this helps
Richard