[squid-users] squid is taking over my system!

From: Angela Burrell <angela@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 15:04:23 -0500

Squid users,

I am running Ubuntu Edgy 6.10 for AMD64 which is Kernel 2.6.17. I have squid
2.6.STABLE9 that I installed from source.

This is not a production server yet, so it was just kind of sitting there
for the past few days, today when I turned on the screen I saw messages
similar to the following:

(numbers) Out of memory: Kill process XXX (apache2) score XX and children.
(numbers) Out of Memory: Killed process XXX (apache2).
(...)
(numbers) Out of memory: Kill process XXX (squid) score XX and children.
(numbers) Out of Memory: Killed process XXX (squid).

I don't know too many linux commands, but I looked on google and found the
free command. My computer has 1 GB of RAM and I only had 10 MB free, but I
had about 75% of my swap space left. (I have about 3 GB of swap).

I did "/etc/init.d/squid stop" which replied [ok] but then when i look in
"top" I see that I still only have 10 MB free memory, and most of the pid's
on the list belong to squid. Why are 30,000 squid processes running after I
type "squid stop".

According to ps aux, /usr/sbin/squid -D -sYC has 9486 entries (AFTER I typed
squid stop.)

On our production server we have 512 MB of RAM and squid 2.4.STABLE7 and
this has never happened.

What can I do?

Note that during the last 5 days this computer was unplugged from the
network so, it's cache cannot be full!