Re: [squid-users] Another HTTP 1.1 Question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:52:39 +0100

ons 2007-03-14 klockan 11:33 -0400 skrev Chris Nighswonger:

> I notice that the window may be scaled many times during the course of
> packet exchanges.

No, the window scaling is selected during the SYN handshake only. The
window size may change, but not the scale.

> I also noticed that the size of the window on the
> acknowledge packet immediately before the hang was different nearly
> every time. So, my question is:
>
> Is the symptom which exposes the window scaling problem simply the
> packet sequence 'request <-> response <-> hang (aka no subsequent
> packets)'?

Yes. Plus the additional test that everything works when window scaling
is disabled. The firewall bug causes the origin server to think that
your window size is way too small, far below the threshold for sending
any response data..

If the symptoms is the same with windows scaling disabled then it's most
likely just a overloaded server not capable to respond within a
reasonable timeframe.

The problem was (and still is) unnoticed by most as the major operating
system seen on desktops is still optimized for LAN connections, not
caring much for long distance high latency connections..

Regards
Henrik