Re: [squid-users] NTLM process failure in 2.6 (as in 2.5)

From: Matthew Smith <mps@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:22:50 +1100

Hello!

Chris Nighswonger wrote:
> On 3/18/07, Matthew Smith <mps@utas.edu.au> wrote:
>> I have a number of squid boxes using this setup at a number of sites - I
>> have only found two sites that are behaving in this way.
>
> It does not sound like an issue with Squid. I run 2.6STABLE9 on FC6
> with ntlm and no problem. It sounds more like a problem between Samba
> and the DC.
>
> Just a sanity check here: Does the trust still exist between these two
> squid boxes and the nt domain? 'wbinfo -t' Are you still able to grab
> a list of users with 'wbinfo' or 'net user' on these two boxes?

Yep, the trust is still up and I can use wbinfo to auth users. One of
the first things I looked at was the connection to the AD. I'll check
again to be sure that the behaviour is identical in 2.6 as it was in
2.5. Also, I now have 3 sites reporting the problem :)

> My knowledge of Squid's logging abilties is limited, however, maybe
> someone else could suggest where to look for log entries for the ntlm
> helper. I suspect cache.log, but you may have to enable a certain
> level of logging to see.

If you pass -d <number> to the arguments of the ntlm client in your
squid.conf then it will get the ntlm helper to log errors that are
visible in the cache.log. So far I have not found a correlation between
the errors it can throw, and this.

Cheers,

Matt Smith