Re: [squid-users] Squid+Open Portal+Ad replacement

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:42:59 +0100

tis 2007-03-20 klockan 12:30 -0400 skrev Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET:

> User already has an IP dedicated to them (So anything
> that uses DHCP is out for now). They start up a browser and
> no matter what site they try at first, it redirects them to
> our "Splash Page". Its open, so we just want them to click
> "Connect" or something to allow them through. Then, once
> that process has been completed, they can surf the net
> normally...

The above can be accomplished with the help of the session acl helper in
it's active mode, combined with a internal web server for serving the
splash page and redirecting the user back to the requested URL when
clicking on Connect.

> Except all ads from the big companies are replaced
> with locally injected ads. More looking for the banner ads
> to be replaced.

Thats a separate question. Not exactly a job for Squid but more one of
the ad busting proxies in combination with Squid.. You need to not only
replace the images but also rewrite the HTML and Javascript content on
the fly.

Also be warned that such rewriting is generally not allowed. Web sites
is protected by copyright, plus terms of use also placing restrictions.
So you better run this question with your lawyer before putting it to
serious use.

Regards
Henrik