Re: [squid-users] Design a delay_pools policy...

From: Raymond A. Meijer <raymond@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:20:20 +0300

On Mon 26 Mar 2007, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

Hi Henrik,

> So what was the hardest part to understand? (just trying to figure out
> how to better document this)
>
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/MiscFeatures#head-fd9b4b7ba1854a3c2179
>6173af9d0b9aee33e376
> http://www.deckle.co.za/squid-users-guide/Access_Control_and_Access_Control
>_Operators#Delay_Classes

Basically the terminology (pools, buckets, classes), but I suspect that if I
had read it in more quiet environment (at home for example) I wouldn't have
had any problems...

Actually, now that I look at it again it makes more sense than last week :)

> Looks fine if you want a hard 100KByte/s (ca 1Mbit/s) limit per user.
> Usually how most people use delay pools is by using a somewhat bigger
> bucket (maybe 10 times the rate) and a slightly smaller rate to allow
> some burstiness which is typical in normal browsing while still limiting
> downloads.
>
> delay_parameters 1 -1/-1 400000/90000
>
> this will allow users to access Internet in bursts of up to 400Kbyte
> unlimited as long as they stay within their allowed 90Kbyte/s limit in
> average.
>
> You could also reorder the acl lists slightly to make them easier to
> maintain if you need to add more exclusion criterias later on
>
> delay_access 1 deny fastusers
> delay_access 1 deny local
> delay_access 1 allow all

Right, I say. That's perhaps a better solution...

I'll try this instead to see what happens.

Thanks,

Ray

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless