[squid-users] Proxy Specs

From: The Nux <thenux@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 21:31:23 +0200

Hi there,
I am coding a proxy (not something big, I just need it for a project)
in Java, then I would have some questions about proxies :

  * Why does HTTP/FTP/SSL & co proxies exist since SOCKS alone could
do all needed tasks ?
  * Can I force firefox (or anything else) that support both HTTP and
SOCKS to use SOCKS for seeing web pages ?
  * Where can I find specs for doing HTTP/FTP/SSL/Gopher proxy ?
  * How comes that all proxy services are listening on the same port ?
Does the proxy server bind to specific protocol proxy according to
what headers looks like ?

Regards,
Rémy