[squid-users] Caching Authentication Details

From: Adam Parsons <adamp@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 12:21:40 +1030 (CST)

Hi, I have two squid servers, the core (parent) one that takes usernames and passwords and authenticates the user, the other setup as the first point of call (child). The child squid server is setup to cache locally, but doesnt have any authentication set on it. It passes the credentials to the parent squid server. cache_peer proxy.xxx.xxx parent 8080 3130 no-query default login=PASS Now am i correct in saying that the local squid server (child) would not be caching any authentication credentials. The reason why i ask, is that a user says that they have changed a password, yet, when they go in via the child squid server it doesn't accept the credentials (tried on multiple workstations) and when going directly through the parent squid proxy, it works. Any ideas? Also have an additional question is it possible to have a squid box, connect to another squid box, but not have caching set. I.e. the whole purpose of the original box, would be for ACL control, while the second box would do authenticating and caching. The situation is that we have a squid box that is part of an image, that we want to keep as is(standardised), now some areas already have a squid box, with customised ACLs inplace, that they want to keep, is there a way for it not to cache to the first box, but only to the second box. It brings back errors when leaving out cache_dir command. Hope that all makes sense. Adam