RE: [squid-users] Squid currently not working.

From: Adam Carter <Adam.Carter@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:20:57 +1100

> FATAL: Cannot open HTTP Port
> Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE16): Terminated abnormally.
>
> Supposedly by what this says, the port can't be opened. I made sure
> that the firewall had it opened and that my router was forwarding it.

Its not a firewall thing, its the operating system not allowing squid to
open that port. Either the port is already in use, or squid doesn't have
the correct privilages to open the port. Typically you need to be root
open a port <1024.

As root, use 'netstat -anp | grep 81' to check if its in use and what is
using it. I use port 8080 for squid;
rix adam # netstat -anp | grep 8080
tcp 0 0 192.168.1.4:8080 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 11852/(squid)