Re: [squid-users] Delay pool aggregate is very large negative number on upload

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:40:52 +1300

Prasanna Krishnamoorthy wrote:
> Hello List!
>
> We have a simple scenario with a transparent squid proxy and two delay
> pools, one unlimited and one limited. When a user in the limited delay
> pool uploads a large file (say via Gmail) his Individual-Current pool
> becomes a large negative number, and so does the Aggregate-Current
> pool. This behaviour is highly offensive, since browsing "freezes" for
> all users, until the delay pool Aggregate becomes positive again.

I agree, it may be highly offensive to clients. Why are you doing it?

Personally I'd configure squid with only individual pools. And limit
each user IP separately.

ie:
   delay_parameters 2 -1/-1 32000/64000

> Squid Conf -
>
> delay_pools 2
>
> delay_class 1 2
> delay_parameters 1 -1/-1 -1/-1
> acl bpool-1 src "/etc/squid/bpools/bpool-1"
> delay_access 1 allow bpool-1
> delay_access 1 deny all
>
> delay_class 2 2
> delay_parameters 2 64000/256000 32000/64000

Why not add here:
   delay_access 2 deny bpool-1
> delay_access 2 allow all

... which means you can get rid of the unlimited pool above.
bpool-1 people will be left without a pool at all, and get through
without speed limits.

> Please let me know what information I can provide to figure this out.
> It's pretty easy to reproduce for us. We are also ready to test any
> patch (we use Ubuntu Hardy, Squid Cache: Version 3.0.STABLE7-1 - the
> latest available in Hardy).
>
> Thanks,
> Prasanna.

That said, there does seem to be a problem. Delay pools should not go
negative at any point. Is it only happening on POST?

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.5