Re: [squid-users] squid becomes very slow during peak hours

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 20:47:10 +0200

ons 2009-07-01 klockan 05:07 -0700 skrev goody goody:

> 2. secondly we are using RAID 5 and have very powerfull machine at
> present as compared to previous one, and previous was working good
> with the same amount of traffic and less powerfull system.

Please note that RAID5 can degrade performance quite noticeably for
workloads like Squid with aufs/diskd. This due to the high amount of
random writes. But it depends a lot on the RAID controller, and
obviously the amount of drives installed in the RAID set and amount of
(battery backed) memory used by the RAID controller for write
optimizations..

> 4. i could not get chris robertson question regarding processors, i
> have two dual core xeon processors(3.2 ghz) and i captured stats at
> peak hours when performance was degraded.

Squid only uses little more than one core at most.

> So what should i do???

Try Squid-2.7, and aufs instead of diskd.

And don't forget to check your cache.log to see if there is any relevant
warnings/errors.

Regards
Henrik