Re: [squid-users] Strange performance effects on squid during off peak hours

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 15:41:47 +0200

ons 2010-09-15 klockan 14:01 +0100 skrev Martin Sperl:
> Hi everyone,
>
> we are seeing a strange response-time effect over 24 hours when delivering content via Squid+icap service (3.0.STABLE9 - I know old, but getting something changed in a production environment can be VERY hard...). Icap server we use is rewriting some URLs and also rewriting some of the content response.
>
> Essentially we see that during peak hours the Average response time is better than during off-peak hours.

Average response time measured on what?

Every request being handled, or the response time of some well known
synthetic request?

If measured over all requests then it may well be normal. Under low
traffic conditions a couple slow requests such as downloads to a low
bandwidth client has big impact on the statistics, while under high
traffic those drowns in the rest of the traffic.

I am afraid you need to drill down a bit in the data to tell what this
really is about. May be perfectly normal or may be a sign of problems.
Can't tell from the statistics alone.

Regards
Henrik