Re: [squid-users] Squid in HA.

From: <david_at_lang.hm>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 14:41:15 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, Edouard Zorrilla wrote:

> My scenario is to use two Squids working as forwarding proxy : SquidA and
> SquidB. If SquidA fails users should be switched to the SquidB.

this is very similar to what I have.

What I do is to run two systems with squid on each system. I have the
vis-hostname set the same for both of them, and that name resolves to a
VIP that moves between the two systems if one fails. I use heartbeat
(http://linux-ha.org) to manage the VIP and detect that a system has
failed.

by having squid running all the time on both boxes, the failover is very
fast.

however, by having squid running on each system, anything that happens on
one system is not known by the other system, so if you do authentication
or anything like that, when a failover happens users will need to
re-authenticate. Also, the cache will be empty and have to be rebuilt.

David Lang