Re: [squid-users] trouble with www address not resolving

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 19:53:56 +1200

On 02/06/11 10:07, William Bakken wrote:
> The second log line on the last email shows that we are logging the
> IP, in that case, google.
>
> Our resolv.conf points to several DNS servers for our ISP, which all
> seem to always have an immediate answer when we do an nslookup
> manually.
>
> Is squid caching negative dns queries? Is there a way to flush these?
>
> Here is the text I am referring to as the last email.
>
> Upgraded squid to 3.1.12
>
> DNS is working from that machine, we are able to resolve both
> www.carfax.com and carfax.com, and have even restarted squid after
> looking those up.
>
> From the squid log:
> TCP_MISS/503 4367 GET http://www.carfax.com/ - DIRECT/www.carfax.com text/html
> (which takes forever)
>
> differs from something like google:
> TCP_MISS/200 15049 GET http://www.google.com/ - DIRECT/74.125.93.147 text/html

Nevermind. The default log in the version still outputs FQDN if known.
It is fixed to show correct IP in the next series.

> Any advice? Our ISP did switch DNS servers recently (we switched at
> the same time as the squid update) but we aren't seeing this behavior
> with other sites.

I looked a bit further and found that the NS hanging occurs reliably
when it is asked for AAAA records. Such as what Squid-3.1 asks for.

It is pretty clear that the site DNS is screwed bigtime.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.8 and 3.1.12.2